How Mini PCs Are Being Used Within the Education Sector
From elementary schools to universities, educational institutes have transitioned away from traditional PCs toward mini PCs to make learning experiences more adaptable, efficient, and engaging. Whether you’re looking for classroom collaboration technology, campus digital signage, or infrastructure solutions, mini PCs are simply the go-to choice for the education sector.
At Simply NUC, we offer a wide range of customizable mini PCs, including numerous solutions specifically designed for schools and educational institutes. Why are mini PCs popular in the education sector and how are they being utilized across different applications and settings? Here’s a basic rundown.
Mini PC Advantages
The market for mini PCs has grown rapidly in the last few years – and growth is expected to continue accelerating in the future. A big reason behind the growth is that numerous industries have come to the conclusion that mini PCs are more advantageous than traditional tower PCs, including the education sector.
Here are some examples:
- Environmental consciousness and sustainability: Mini PCs consume significantly less power than tower PCs, making them a more environmentally-friendly option.
- Noise levels: Mini PCs run on lower power and generate less heat making them extremely quiet and ideal for libraries and labs. Many models are fanless making them virtually silent.
- Cost-effectiveness: Mini PCs are often less expensive than traditional tower PCs while offering the same performance level. They run on less power which allows for lower energy bills.
- Compactness and portability: Mini PCs are small in size, meaning they consume less desk space and can be easily moved around.
- Flexible Mounting: Versatile mounting options make mini PCs particularly useful in the education sector. Some examples include VESA mounting which lets you mount the mini PC on the back of a monitor or large display, or DIN rails which allow mounting of the mini PC to a wall just below a large format display. This gives educators more flexibility on where they can place mini PCs in their classrooms and eliminates the need for cables that span from tables to wall-mounted displays.
Our next sections cover the most popular ways mini PCs are utilized within the educational sector.
Classroom and Lecture Halls
Regardless of the size or type of classroom, mini PCs are quickly becoming more popular in educational areas. They can address a broad range of educational needs to power modern classrooms and lecture halls. From interactive whiteboards to conferencing systems, or workstations for educators, mini PCs offer versatility and efficiency with ample performance.
For those looking to utilize 4K displays or other multimedia technology in classrooms, mini PCs are an excellent choice for powering them. In fact, they’re ideal for a wide variety of connected applications that benefit from a powerful processor. They’re also perfect for helping to deploy remote learning and collaboration.
Since mini PCs can also be remotely managed, your organization’s IT department will be able to maintain images and security standards, as well as troubleshoot the PCs no matter where they are located. This allows teachers the freedom to focus on teaching and learning, without needing to worry about technical issues.
Libraries and Labs
In addition to classrooms and lecture halls, mini PCs have started taking over many labs and libraries. The primary reasons are their cool and quiet operation and compact size.
School libraries and labs always need space for more computers, and mini PCs are the perfect solution. They can easily be hidden away behind monitors while offering enough performance and power to handle most computing needs. And they run cool and quiet, eliminating the heat and noise often associated with school labs.
Additionally, mini PCs running Windows 10 offer a number of unique features that are ideal for library and lab settings. For example, they include comprehensive security features to protect users’ data and devices, as well as features that make it easy for IT staff to manage and support them.
Finally, mini PCs can be used as entry-level servers for school infrastructure. They’re an affordable solution that will help declutter your wiring closet while offering uncompromised performance in a surprisingly small package. With much lower energy consumption, mini PCs can maintain a school’s infrastructure at a fraction of the cost compared to servers or tower PCs.
In short, mini PCs are a great choice for a wide range of educational applications and needs. For more on why mini PCs have become so popular in the education sector, or to learn about any of our mini PCs, speak to the staff at Simply NUC today.
Simply NUC, Inc. is a systems integrator specializing in mini computers. Simply NUC provides fully configured, warranted, and supported mini PC systems to businesses and consumers, as well as end-to-end NUC project development, custom operating system installations, and NUC accessories.